Verizon is finally pushing out the Android 2.1 update for the Motorola Droid. Why wait for the OTA update. For less than 5 minutes of your time you too can be enjoying all the 2.1 goodness.(unless you’re already rooted and have been running 2.1 for months)
Continue on for Step by step instructions to install the upgrade.
Step by Step Instructions:
1. Download the update file direct from Google here: Motorola Droid 2.1 update ESE81-from-ESD56 or if there is a problem downloading it from there you can try this alternate link.
2. Copy the file to your SDCard in the root = sdcard/ (not in a subfolder). If you need a file explorer for your Droid we recommend Estrong File Explorer for Android.
3. Make sure you have “update.zip” (without the quotes) in the root of the sdcard – rename to update.zip if necessary.
4. Power the phone off.
5. Force the phone to boot up in recovery mode: Press the Power On button of the phone and the x button on the keyboard at the same time.
6. You will then see a triangle with the exclamation point: Press the Volume Up Key and press the Camera Button(only press down half-way)
7. Use the D-pad to navigate to “apply update.zip” and press the D-pad center button to select it. It will start the update process.
8. When the update has completed Reboot the phone by selecting that option with the D-pad. It takes a little time to reboot but that should be it.
You should now have Android 2.1 ESE81 on your Motorola Droid!
There is information below on the update form Verizon. In brief it includes everything the Nexus one has, including live wallpapers, except for the 5 home screens and 3d launcher. If you want to get an excellent home screen replacement with up to 7 screens with a very smooth launcher just get the Helix Launcher from the market.
Info from Verizon on Update:
Starting 03/30/2010, Verizon Wireless is pleased to announce a new software update for the DROID by Motorola. Users will be able to upgrade their software to version AP: ESE81/BP: C_01.3E.03P to receive new improvements and enhancements.
- Email – Yahoo Mail is now supported – customers can simply
sign in with their Yahoo! Email address and password. Note:
Yahoo! Email is not available over Wi-Fi
- Pinch to Zoom now available in the Browser, Maps, and Gallery
- Speech-to-Text – Customers can now use their voice instead
of typing whenever a text-entry box appears
- Google Goggles is now preloaded
- The new Gallery application uses 3D layout and shows both
pictures taken with the customer’s Android device and images
from Picasa Web Albums account online
- At noon on 03/30, 1,000 users will receive notification of
- At 11:59 PM on 03/30, 9,000 more users will receive the
- After the first 10,000 users receive the update on 03/30,
there will be a 24-hour period when no additional upgrades
will be delivered.
- On Day 3 (04/01), 200,000 users will receive the update
notification at 11:59 PM. This schedule will continue each
day thereafter until the update has been delivered to all users.
Below is the software-upgrade notification schedule (All times listed are Eastern Time):
*Download & Install Conditions:*
- An OTA download requires 40% or more power availability if
the device is not connected to an external power source or
20% or more power if it is connected to an external source
o If roaming, the customer will not receive the update. The
only option in this scenario is for the subscriber to enable
Wi-Fi and wait for a mandatory OTA. The wait period in this
case will not be more than 12 hours
- User must wait to receive the upgrade via OTA
- User is unable to make or receive calls, including emergency
calls during this time
Users will see the following information when they select*
More info* on the update screen:/ This software update
includes new enhancements to support Yahoo! Email,
pinch-to-zoom, and many other improvements for your DROID by
Motorola. You will be unable to use your device or make
emergency calls for the duration of the install. The
software updates automatically, and your DROID will power
off and on as part of this software upgrade.
Screen Captures from Motorola Droid:
[nggallery id=23 template=captport]